COUNTY LOGO no backaround



Q.         How is dust controlled in front of my house?
A.         The County has an annual dust abatement program with applications due in May of each year.

            In cases where a heavy truck haul is occurring, the County does its best to enforce road use agreements that include the hauling company supplying dust abatement during their activities.  If prolonged hauling is occurring in your area, please feel free to provide that information to the County – we aren’t always advised by the hauling company.

Q.         Who do I have to pay for my dust control?
A.         The County would not have the time and equipment to apply dust abatement to all residents in the County free of charge.  The current fee is approximately one-third of the actual cost, and the County subsidizes the remaining two-thirds.

Q.         Can the County build an approach for me?

A.         If you don’t have access to your parcel, the County can either supply the culvert for you or for an installation fee (currently $250) the County can supply and install it.  Please apply under our New Approach Program.

            If an approach already exists to your parcel, the County will not supply an additional approach.  Landowners can, however, get approval for a new approach location and size and install it independently.  Please use the Miscellaneous Request Form.

Q.         Who fixes (or widens) approaches?

A.         If you require an approach widening for your field, farm, or home-business, the County can perform the work for an installation fee (currently $250).  Please apply under our New Approach Program.

            Repairs to approaches are the County’s responsibility – please inform us with location and approach condition details.

Q.        When will my road get gravel?
A.         Most rural roads receive re-gravelling about every 3 years.  Heavier traveled routes will receive it more often.  Our annual program is compiled every spring, at which time you can contact our office to inquire whether your road is included.

Q.         When will my road (or private driveway) get snowplowed?

A.         The snowplowing goals of the County are to have major paved routes plowed the same day and minor paved routes and paved hamlet streets plowed within 2 days.  For gravel roads, main routes are expected to be open within one day of snowfall event (4 inches or more) and all other residential routes within 2 days.

            Cleanup operations and private driveway plowing will follow residential road operations.



With the number of Towns, Villages, Metis Settlements and First Nations in the area it may not always be clear to motorists whose jurisdiction a particular road may be. Generally speaking, most graveled roads in the municipality are the responsibility of Big Lakes County.  These routes typically are signed with township and range road numbers.  Gravel routes that are outside of the County’s responsibility would include; Metis Settlement roads, First Nations roads, and oilfield roads.  Highway 679 from Prairie Echo to Salt Prairie is a provincial road and is maintained by Carillion Canada Inc.

All numbered paved highways are the Province’s responsibility.  In our region this includes Hwy #2, Hwy #2A, Hwy #32, Hwy #33, Hwy #679, Hwy #747, Hwy #749 and Hwy #750.  The Province has contracted all of its road maintenance in the area to Carillion Canada Inc.  However, paved routes that the County maintains are: High Prairie Resource Road, Gilwood Road, Hilliards Bay Road, Winagami Road, Hamlet streets and the Peavine and East Prairie Roads.  Maintenance of the paved Metis settlement access roads by the County is extended into their boundaries under an agreement between our jurisdictions.


In case of roadway emergencies, please make note the following numbers:

Big Lakes County                    780-523-5955 or Toll Free 1-866-523-5955
Carillion Canada                      Toll Free 1-800-390-2240
Alberta Transportation             Toll Free 310-0000 and 780-624-6280