Before An Emergency
Emergencies and disasters can happen anytime and anywhere and often when we least expect it. If a serious emergency or disaster were to happen in Big Lakes County the public will be able to find information on this web site, the Alberta Emergency Alert system and social media.
It is important that County residents have a plan in place to enable them to protect themselves, their family and neighbours during an emergency or disaster. Being prepared will save time and make these types of situations less stressful.
In the event of a major emergency or disaster, there may be a period of time where normal emergency services are interrupted. In that time, residents must rely on their own personal emergency preparedness to get through the first 72 hours.
What To Do In An Emergency
- Activate and follow your emergency plan.
- Gather your emergency kit.
- Make sure you are safe before assisting others.
- Listen to the radio or television for information from local officials may advise you to stay where you are. Follow their instructions.
- Stay where you are until all is safe or until you are ordered to evacuate.